Tuesday, June 3, 2008

coding your own online shop

It's not easy! I remember when I first learned HTML. This guy at this job I had a long time ago gave me a book on it and said "start learning, or you'll go the way of the dodo."

Those were not his exact words.

So I started learning. Then I learned a bit of flash. Then some java.

And then I stopped doing all of it. I kind of got a bit burned out on graphic design and web design and wanted to do other things in my life.

Then my mom said "Hey! Build me a website."

And who can say no to moms?

So she found a template she liked and I shot the photos for First In Line Soap and we hired someone for the Soapier shots, and someone helped with the copy and we got the site done.

Then my buddy Al Rotches said "Hey, do that thing they do at istock, where you roll over the images instead of having pop-ups."

Al is currently missing. Grumble, grumble.

So, I started looking up how to do the code and I found this Dynamic Drive site and they had the code! But they also had 36 pages of comments and no real follow ups... plus all those words were driving me bonkers, and moving along the screen by themselves, so I said "let's find another site."

Found this guy, WebDesignInfo.wordpress.com and so I'm hoping he'll be able to answer some questions.

I only did one quick try on it here. You can see that Froggie's Pond is the one I worked on, because the text has shifted down, instead of where it should be, on the right side of the pick. But the in screen pop-up works!

Hurray!

So... I'll keep you posted. But it's fun to learn new things, and even funner when someone can help you fix those problems that need fixing.

J

No comments: