Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Rollercoaster

Hello all. Thanks for stopping by and reading what will surely be a strange, yet provocative piece of non-fiction. Nothing to tell the grandkids, you know, but still...

At the end of August, my mom decided to call it quits with Soapier. She just couldn't do it alone any more. My sister had taken a full time job because the soap business wasn't able to support both my mom and her.

So, basically, my mom was overworked.

She said "I'm done. Done. DONE. I can't do it any more." This was on the phone, you know.

So, she said tell them we're closing. Tell them we're closing, but if they want to buy us, they can. If not, I'm going to, I don't know, be a greeter at Wal-Mart or something. But don't tell them that.

Sigh, ok mom.

Now, listen. I love everything that we've done over the past however many years. I love it. I love, more specifically, the amount of help, support, and love we've received from Reddit. I don't know how many retail companies can say the have received as much as we have. It was truly unbelievable.

I know I say it often enough, but I don't think people grasp the full scope of what happened.

I post a thread on Reddit and receive quite the sendoff.

But from that moment on, I was kind of obsessed with keeping the business.

We received over 40 interested parties who wanted to obtain Soapier. We sent out emails with an asking price, and by the end of the month, we had two potential buyers, and one party interested in investing with us.

In the end, none of it was a good fit. I was both relieved and a bit disappointed. My sister and my mom (not to mention myself) could have used the money from the sale. But I had other plans.

I haven't been working steady since February of this year. Nothing's really been working for me. I've been a graphic designer for 13 years, and I'm, unfortunately, in that position where people won't hire me for entry positions because they think I'll rabbit if something better comes along. I'm also in the position to know the value of my experience, and when a company is looking for me (or someone like me) to do the work of 3 people for a ridiculously low salary.

Ok, ok. I applied to those jobs, too. Beggars can't be choosers.

But nothing was happening. I even applied for dog walking positions. One place told me they received over 400 resumes for the position. That was when I knew that not only were things tough, but that my not finding work was not my fault.

So, I thought. And thought. Thought some more. And I decided that I would go down to Florida and take over the business.

Posted it on Reddit, got in touch with our customers who purchased during September, to give them the opportunity to return their product, just in case they felt that they were buying under false pretenses...

And now we're at present day.

Oh, check this out. Stephen Colbert mentioned Soapier in a letter he sent to Reddit. That day was pretty much THE day that I decided I wasn't giving up. It's not every day that someone like him mentions someone like us. I was floored. I mean, seriously floored. I read that letter five times. I couldn't believe it.

So, I'll be heading down to Florida, then heading to Washington, hiring a part-time person to help us get through the holidays, and trying to find a warehouse space in Florida that we can use, so that I can get the business out of my mom's apartment.

I also have a couple of great ideas for the holidays that we're sure are going to be fantastic gift ideas this year.

We're very excited.

Thanks for reading. One of the things I'll be doing is updating this blog more and more, as the days of my being at Soapier continue. Should be a lot of fun, and I'm very excited (and nervous) to get started. Wish me luck.

John

5 comments:

maraburdett said...

I have been a fan of Soapier for quite some time on Facebook because of my brother, though not a consumer. After reading this, I will definitely be buying your products =] Good luck!

Frank said...

This is awesome! You're making me feel excited too, as I love reading about success stories! I bought a reddit bacon soap from you a while back, but haven't used it because I considered it to be more of a collector's item, but I've decided I'm going to actually use it now so that I would have a reason to buy more stuff from you in the future.

I'm a huge fan of sim-games and everything to do with entrepreneur stuff and logistics, so reading things like this really spike my interest. I don't care much about the soap in itself, no matter how good it is, to be honest. My interest in Soapier is your stories. Reading about your ups and downs with the business is very exciting, and I'm really looking forward to following you on your journey to success, for the same reason that my favorite movie is Kiki's Delivery service. :P

What I'm saying is this: You should be aware of that you are actually selling more than soap. With this blog, you are selling a story as well, and I just want you to know that I'm a real fan of it. I'll buy soap from you because I see it as merchandise, and it will have more value to me because of the background of it.

If I were you, I'd start making soap with a lot of different themes that are related to stories, like "I can't do it any more soap", "if something better comes along soap", "not my fault soap", "I was floored soap (get it? Soap, floor? Meh)", "heading down to Florida soap" or "wish me luck soap". Kind of like song names.

You know, research indicate that out of all our senses, smell is the one that triggers our memory most effectively, so if you have a product that combines a smell with an experience, that's just awesome. I also know that you make very beautiful soap, so you can play a lot with colors and form as well, but I'm sure that's obvious.

Sorry if this was a bit long and weird, but in the end I just want you to know that I'm really interested in what you're up to, and I definitely wish you good luck!

Anonymous said...

We bought from Soapier the first time that we heard about it on Reddit last year. We gave some people a few sampler 3 packs each for the holidays last year. I got a few additional full sized bars then too. Then came the re-order just before Mother's Day. Now we've decided to leave our order from September in place since we've already promised people their holiday soaps again. Excellent gifts!

While I don't like every scent, the scents that I do like, I love! Oatmeal, Milk and Honey; Goat's Milk-Rose; Santa's Nog and Pumpkin Roll are absolutely the best things ever. I'm especially looking forward to another winter without dry skin because of the Goat's Milk Soap.

Debbie said...

Finally, a story with a happy ending!! I've been a customer for several years and buy your soaps for myself, as well as for gifts for my family. I made my first purchase when I found your booth at a country craft show in NJ and have been hooked ever since! On every holiday or birthday, my Mom, sister and niece anxiously await their gift of soaps and we all oohh and ahhh at the designs and fragrances. I was so sad to learn of your closing but sometimes things happen in our lives that force us to make changes. I made what I thought was to be my last purchase in September and thought, "gee, this year no holiday soaps from Soapier...my family will be disappointed". Imagine my delight when I received your email today saying that you would remain open - hurrah!! I will definitely be ordering my holiday soaps soon and I wish you all the best of luck and great success!! I hope that you will be in business for many years to come!!

Anonymous said...

This makes me so happy!